Church History

 Our Church here at Eve Lane, Upper Gornal had it's beginings back in the 1930's when evangelist Edward Jefferys came to Dudley Town Hall for a series of meetings. Following these meetings a group of people started to meet in Salop Street, Dudley.

As time passed a local shoe repairer, Caleb Beardsmore who attended the meetings at Bethel, felt the call to start a church in Gornal. So with some members from the Bethel to support him they started to meet in his front room at 47c Kent Street, Upper Gornal.

The church at Upper Gornal was founded in 1936 and Pastor Caleb Beardsmore was our first Pastor from 1936 to 1963. But people needed somewhere to meet. An old bakehouse in Eve Lane was found, built of Gornal Stone with a slate roof, it had outdoor steps at the rear to reach an upper floor. This upper floor had used to be a joiners shop but was now unused. This "Upper Room" was cleaned out and the people, at last, had a true meeting place.

 Under Pastor Beardsmore's leadership, the congregation grew and larger premises were needed, so a piece of land was sought. A prophecy was given that the land was "on the doorstep". The owner of the bakehouse and the surrounding land were contacted and the bakehouse and land was bought.

Between the years 1936 and 1939 the congregation continued to meet in the "Upper Room", but work was now taking place on the surrounding land as the first church building at Eve Lane was being built.


In the autumn of 1939 the church (fondly known by many as "The Mission") was opened by Mr John Carter. During the 1950's the Sunday School was built on the rear of the church.

Pastor Gerald Chamberlain was our Pastor from 1963-1974, then Pastor George J Williamson from 1974-1978 and Pastor James Holden from 1978-1982.

In the early 80's it became clear that a bigger and more modern building was required and in 1983 the final services were held in the old church building. Whilst our new church building was being built we met for our Sunday Services and Bible Study at Sycamore Green School, and our Prayer Meetings were house groups. In August 1983 after the church building was demolished, and before any work on the new building took place, a service was held on the site of the old church to dedicate the land. Then the building programme began. The excavations and the foundations were laid in November 1983. In March 1984 the interior brickwork began to rise and in April 1984 the steel framework was erected. On the 2nd May 1984 following the ground floor being laid the congregation met on site for a short service. Our new church building was opened at a dedication service in December 1984.

Pastor Alan Penduck was our Pastor from 1987-2012. Pastor Craig Bennett was our Pastor from May 2013-July 2015. Pastor Nigel Marsh became our Pastor December 2018 and continues to serve.